Smart, Sexy, Sassy & Bitingly Witty

September 16, 2005

Geobloggers: What happens when Google Maps & Flickr collide

What is geoblggers? (Source:Geobloggers.com)

Geobloggers is a site that's built upon two great technologies. Googol Maps takes care of the mapping side and flickr takes care of the image hosting, scaling, and so on. geobloggers meshes those two together.

The idea is that you go out into the (urban) wild armed with a camera and possibly a GPS unit. You take a bunch of photos and upload them to flickr. Then you add "tags" which lets geobloggers (and other sites) know where the photo was taken, using "geotagged", "geo:lat=xxx.xxxx" and "geo:lon=xxx.xxxx". Flickr handles the management of the photos, geobloggers does the rest.

There are many benefits for geotagging, mainly that it's fun. Another good reason is that you also get to see who's taken photos at the places you've taken photos, same scene, different eye.

Finally, as phones start to ship with GPS more and more, people (and by people I mean, normal everyday people, not us lot who are already into GPS systems) will want more geo based information. Armed with a GPS device or GPS phone, you can wonder around the streets or countryside and see what photos have been taken nearby. Soon geobloggers will allow you to comment on photos and leave geotagged notes (or mini blog entries) as well as handle tagged del.icio.us entries. Soon we'll be walking around in a rich soup of geotagged data :)

But really, what is geobloggers?

Yeah ok, you've got me. geobloggers is actually extreme lazy web, I'm building, in a very amateur way, the type of website that I want to see built. It's basically saying, look this is what I want and this is how I want it to work, can someone please go and build it.

Not as it stands at the moment, I still have stuff I want to add. So don't build this, build what I'm going to have in a couple of months!

The other thing it's done, which I'd hoped for, is that it's put me in content with a whole bunch of really cool people. Who all know much more about what I'm doing that I do, it's a great ice breaker too in that respect (not a cool parties thought, just geeky ones).

          



 
 
 
eXTReMe Tracker